skip to content »

Updating ssn after marriage

updating ssn after marriage-21

| Update your Social Security Card when your Status Changes | ©2015 – onwards, Life As Mrs.

There are so many details to consider that you may forget one important detail that applies if you are changing your name -- applying for a new Social Security card.This documentation is only required if you have not already established citizenship with the SSA.Certain documents are accepted as proof of identity.If you forget to notify your employer and the Social Security Administration (SSA) about your name change, any W-2 forms received after the name change may be incorrectly recorded and your Social Security benefits may be incorrectly calculated.You may not even be aware of the problem until you retire and find your benefits to be lower than you expected.How do you apply for a new Social Security card after a name change?

The SSA does have an online service, but unfortunately, you cannot use it to apply for a new card. driver's license, or a non-driver ID card issued by a state agency.

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you need to tell Social Security so that you can get a corrected Social Security card. In order to get a correct social security card you will need to provide documentation that proves you are a US citizen, legal name change and your identity.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency.

Here are five tips from the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change.

When you need to apply for a US Credit Card to build your credit score, or apply for Insurances, or other paperwork that requires a Social Security Card to be submitted/presented, some applications would require a non-restricted card.

Nowadays these kinds of old-fashioned etiquette rules have fallen to the wayside.